Thursday, October 20, 2005

Question

Question 78
What brings you the most peace and why?


Unfortunatly, that answer includes several things. Well, unfortunatly for one of them... First, the good things... my faith, my friends, my sister, my cats, dark chocolate, writing, singing, and doing methodical things such as trying to burn a paper without burning my fingers or setting it down or crocheting. Then the bad thing(s).... hurting myself, drawing on my skin in red marker, and other bad behaviors. Now for the harder part: the why...

My faith sustains me. It gives me comfort knowing there is something bigger than me controlling this world and I have always felt close to the Virgin Mary for some reason. I've always known there is a God and always believed Christ died to save me and always felt connected to Mother Mary.

My friends distract me. They put me at ease and take my mind off my problems. What could be better than laughing a span of time away with friends? Nothing I can think of.

My Samantha, my sister, reminds me of the innocence of childhood. When life had no real downside. She keeps my mind on the positive instead of the negative.

My cats just sit there and let me pet them. It's a methodical thing. Just getting into a rhythm and stroking their fur. It's theraputic.

Dark chocolate. a) It tastes good. b) It releases chemicals in the brain to make you happy and c) I'm female and I'm PMS, what do you want?

Writing gets my thoughts and feelings out on paper. I can put them away for a little bit and then come back and analyze them when I'm more objective and my emotions aren't clouding my judgements quite so much.

Singing makes me concentrate on my technique rather than my life. It can express some things far better than what I can formulate. There's always a song that fits the mood and if there isn't, make one up. It instantly makes me have better posture and better breathing technique. It makes me feel so much better by putting my energy into my singing and not worrying.

The methodical things calm me. It's a pattern with crocheting. It's a caution with burning. It makes me concentrate on that instead of my life.

The pain of SIing calms me. It's nothing you can really understand unless you've been there and done that. The relief I get from seeing those scratches is indescribable. The calm I get from digging my nails into my back is remarkable. But then the regret comes almost before I can feel that relief or that calm. The relief is not worth the regret.

It's the same for the marker. Seeing that red against the paleness of my skin filled me with such a feeling of calm. I haven't done that in about a year so I couldn't tell you if it's worth the regret that always comes or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Helping others brings me the most peace. I am calm and collected when I know that I have soothed a pain, calmed a fear, helped a freind in need.
That gives me inner strength to fight my demons.